How to Apply for Citizenship after a Marriage-based Green Card

The process of applying for naturalization after obtaining a marriage green card can seem daunting, but it does not have to be. Here is a brief overview of the steps you will need to take in order to become a naturalized citizen of the United States.

1. Get your Green Card

If you are married to a United States citizen, you will likely be eligible for a marriage-based green card. The first step in the process is to obtain this green card, which will grant you legal permanent residency status in the United States.

2. Meet the residency requirements

After you have obtained your green card, you will need to maintain continuous residency in the United States for at least three years. This means that you must live in the United States for at least half of that time before applying for naturalization.

3. Be a person of good moral character

In order to be eligible for naturalization, you must be a person of good moral character. This generally means that you have not been convicted of any serious crimes and that you obey the laws of the United States.

4. Pass the English and civics tests

As part of the naturalization process, you will need to take an English test as well as a civics test. The English test assesses your ability to read, write, and speak English, while the civics test covers basic knowledge about United States history and government.

5. File the necessary paperwork

After you have met all of the requirements for naturalization, you will need to file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This application must be accompanied by the required fees as well as proof that you meet all of the eligibility requirements.

6. Attend an interview

Once your application is submitted, you will be scheduled for an interview with a USCIS officer. During this interview, you will be asked questions about your application and your background.

This is also where you may have to answer questions to ensure that your marriage is bona fide and not just for the purposes of obtaining an immigration benefit. Evidence, such as family photographs, joint bank accounts, co-ownership of property, joint tax returns and other similar signs of a real marriage will be checked, and you may be asked further questions about it.

You will also be required to take the English and civics tests again if you did not pass them the first time.

7. Take the Oath of Allegiance

If you are approved for naturalization, you will be required to take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States. This oath is a promise to support and defend the Constitution of the United States.

If you have any questions about the process from a marriage-based green card to naturalization, we are here to help! I can assist you with this process, and will be by your side each step of the way. Contact us today to discuss your case!